Vegetable Cucumber also known as Sambar Cucumber is an all time favorite vegetable crop grown in coastal Karnataka esp Mangalore. It was a challenge to grow SC in hydroponics as the crop requires a lot of care and patience in the field as it is gets easily damaged by excess irrigation, high soil temperatures and attack from fruit boring insect Dacus dorsalis fly.
Seedlings germinated within 2 days
- In the field, integrated pest management using organic neem sprays and Dimethoate Rogar is used to reduces pest attack of red pumpkin beetle which feed on the young and tender leaves of the plant
- here since i do not use any chemical pesticides, i let the plant take the insect assault for a few days till i applied organic neem spray
- Neem spray applied when there is pest incidence proved excellent and the results speak for themselves.
- no blanket sprays required. hence no wasting
- tiny fruit buds appear and its best to switch from grow nutrients to bloom nutrients
- the young and growing fruit buds need to be protected from extreme heat which was bouncing off the hard concrete flooring. hence i had placed old gunny bags on the ground and the vines were growing over it. so no direct contact with the hot floor
- this was not a good idea as the growing fruit needs light and breeze. but fortunately for me, the idea of covering the growing fruit with whatever i could find (here a plastic tray) worked.
- The next time, i will use a net cover
- not a scratch on the fruit
- depending on individual tastes, generally fruits are harvested when they change their color from dark green to light green or brown and in some cases orange.
- for long distance transporting green fruits are harvested.
- if you look closely, the fruit has an abnormal twisted appearance.
- its probably because the growing fruit didnt rest on the gunny bag which i had kept but was growing on the concrete flooring which gets hot when the temperatures are high. hence the fruit could have gotten disfigured, but its still tasty
- The orange color indicates the fruit is over ripe and is excellent for extracting the seeds.